CWRS Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists develop suitable duties programs and return to work programs for either employers or insurers (WorkCover, Workers Compensation, self-insurers and CTP) for return to same job or host employers and work trials. The service is offered in Maroochydore, the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast and north to Gympie, Maryborough and Bundaberg.
A suitable duties program (return to work program) can be developed to formalise an injured worker’s safe and durable return to gainful employment following injury, through a supervised process at the workplace.
The Occupational Therapist will initially conduct a workplace assessment to individually tailor the suitable duties program to reflect the workers current injury restrictions. The OT will then formulate appropriate work upgrades that will meet the needs of both the employer and the injured worker.
Suitable duties form the basis for a work conditioning program, using the workplace as a means to progress the workers fitness and work endurance, while their injuries heal. Suitable duties (also known as light or alternative duties) are meaningful job tasks selected from the injured worker’s usual job or another role.
A suitable duties program will highlight the following:
- Duties that are physically appropriate based on the workers condition or injury
- Weekly progression in hours and duties
- Specific restrictions that will be gradually upgraded week by week
- Additional weekly recommendations for injury management
- Signatures by all parties to acknowledge and implement the program (worker, employer, GP and Occupational Therapist).